Sunday, March 8, 2015

Beginning of never ending Learning- My First Year of Work - Part 1

Beginning of never ending Learning- My First Year of Work - Part 1
 
I was desperate to get a job after my father expired just 16 days before my exams. I started applying for jobs but in the mean time joined Post Graduation in IIT Kharagpur. Out of many applications I made earlier, when NTPC offered me the employment as part of their 250 engineering trainee recruitment, even-though I was in the middle of the thesis work, all my well wishers advised me to work. It was tough but clear decision when I ultimately joined NTPC after taking special permission to complete the Thesis work later.
I was deployed in Operations & Maintenance group in Farakka Super thermal Plant as Unit controller.
At the end of every shift, the Unit Controller calls each location to find some critical parameters like Centrifugal pump level, Boiler water level, HP Heater Outlet temperature etc. The plant is several acres wide and many interactions with the Supervisors and Operators happen over phone. One day Unit Controller asked me to get the status from the operators.
When I called the room I introduced myself and asked for the details. Mr NK Jha told me "I never know you so far, how can I give you these details? Please give the phone to the unit controller".
"I am a newly joined Engineer Jha jee. Please help me with the Status. The Unit controller asked me to help him"
"I am sorry, without knowing you, status will not be given" Mr. Jha disconnected the phone.
When I informed the same thing to my manager, he picked up the phone and collected the Status.
This incident made me a bit demoralized as my manager also didnt bother about positioning me properly. Similar incidents continued a number of times. Whenever I tried to get any updates, the responses remained same even after a couple of weeks. Being this a new job, and this being a routine task of my duty, the failure to get responses created many sleepless nights for me.
One day I decided to go down to the place where the Technicians and Supervisors sit. It was very scary when I went into the room. As many as 12 members were in the room chatting over some petty topics, laughing loudly and enjoying the discussions. I went to the table and wished all of them stating that I am a new joiner. Mr Jha was there and immediately understood who am I.
He received me and introduced to the technicians. Each person responded differently but common fact is that none of them showed any respect. One person folded hands with a wry smile on the face, another one laughing without reason while I wished him, one more loosely waiving the hand while I expected a hand shake. That created more awkward feeling but Mr. Jha took me to his work place and explained.
' Khaderao ji, we also work and we expect some respect. Someone who was unknown to me cant call and ask for updates. I am 20 years experienced here and all my colleagues are also more than 10-20 years experienced. They deserved some respect.'
I was surprised and explained him that there was no intention to disrespect. with that I thought the matter ends with a positive conclusion. But the resistance and refusal to respond continued. Me being new, it was quite difficult as I was unable to contribute at all. In addition the responses were quite rude.
One day I had to call one operator urgently as one specific Volve needed to be opened to allow additional flow of Oil. I called and asked the operator to do this urgently. 'It will not happen' Jana told me.
"Why Jana jee (respected Jana) ?"
"You come down and find out".
With that response I was scared and kept the phone down. I didnt know what to do. I went to the site and found another operator Mistri. I met him and requested him to open the Valve. He made a sinister smile and asked me to show where is the valve. If I showed him, he would do. It was quite insulting to me, but I actually dont know where was the valve. I told him the same but emphasized that opening that valve right now is very important.
He replied 'You Engineers know nothing and ask us to work. We are the people who are working with no recognition'.
"Mistriji (Respected Mistri) it is still your work right? We need to do this?"
"I am asking you to show the valve, I will open it"
I knew he is aware where is the valve but he would not do it. When I looked at the pipe lines there are several valves and I am not sure which valve is the one I needed to operate. I went back and clearly heard giggling of Mistri.
That day I took the entire schematic diagram and made my notes and pictures. I continued for the next shift and went to the site with the pictures I have. I started identifying each pipeline and marking with Chalk piece. Every valve I kept a tag with the Valve numbers. It took a few hours for me to complete the work. I was able to do this for Oil lines. I found a small Valve which has to be opened for my purpose. I opened it for an hour till I needed the required temperature at the outlet. Once I met my reading, I closed the valve and went back. I checked the parameters in the control room as well to ensure I did right.
I didnt stop there and continued to do the similar study for other lines of Boiler. By the time I completed it was time for the next shift. I was going in the bus back to my workplace. suddenly I felt dizzy and by the time I tried to realize, I lost my senses. after probably an hour, I wokeup but didnt open the eyes. I was hearing two people talking.
"I am putting these sand witches in the Hot pack near his bed. Prepare good tea my dear friend! You will keep this in the Flask beside the hot pack"
"His temperature is normal Jha jee, I think it is fatigue ..." I think it was Burman's voice.
I closed my eyes.
(To Continue)
Disclaimer: I have been writing the blogs in the style of story telling based on real incidents but with some fiction added to emphasize the message. Hence I request not to make any conclusions to derive facts based on the posts in these articles

No comments:

Post a Comment